No Banner to display
2015 - 2017 HOA Board of Directors
- President:Christopher Sween, O.D.
- Immediate Past President:Peili Lin, O.D.
- President Elect:Kevin Tsuda, O.D.
- Vice-President:Kibert Kato, O.D.
- Treasurer:Kristin Shimabukuro, O.D.
- Secretary:Jana Murakami, O.D.
- Oahu Directors:Nora Chan, O.D.,
David Hironaga, O.D.,
Michelle Louie, O.D.,
Liane Casuga, O.D.
- Hawaii Director:Jennifer Maeda, O.D.
- Kauai Director:Michael Oride, O.D.
- Maui Director:Michael Leong, O.D.
- Auditor Director:Linda Arakaki, O.D.
- Senior Advisory Director:Brian Kubo, O.D.
- Executive Director:Charlotte Nekota
The Hawaii Optometric Association (HOA) is an organization representing over 200 doctors of optometry statewide. For the past 42 years, the HOA has made a dedicated effort to ensure that the profession of optometry continues to be recognized as the primary provider of eye care in Hawaii. Our members practice in a diverse array of settings throughout the state with the common goal of promoting the visual welfare of our unique island community.
In conjunction with the American Optometric Association, the HOA works to:
- Promote better understanding among optometrists
- Encourage and assist in the improvements of the arts and sciences of optometry
- Raise the standards and ethics of the profession of optometry
- Work independently of or cooperate with other optometric associations and organizations in the ethical dispensing of optometric knowledge to the public
- Consolidate efforts toward solving any problems along the path of progress of professional optometry
The Role of Optometry
Doctors of optometry (ODs) are the primary health care professionals for the eye. Optometrists are state-licensed to examine, diagnose, treat, and manage diseases, injuries, and disorders of the visual system, the eye, and associated structures as well as identify related systemic conditions affecting the eye. When appropriate, Doctors of Optometry prescribe topical and oral medications, low vision rehabilitation, vision therapy, spectacle lenses, and contact lenses. Optometrists also counsel patients regarding surgical and non-surgical options that may address the visual requirements related to their lifestyles.